The following qualification details are what a cardiac anesthesiologist must have before getting a job. However, this article will explain in detail not only the qualification requirements, but also the skills, licensing and remuneration that this kind of profession attracts.
Career Overview of a Cardiac Anesthesiologist
The education background for a cardiac anesthesiologist is quite long. Besides completing a four year degree program, you have to attend medical school, enroll in an internship, then undergo a residency program before you are allowed to work actively in this field.
The main work involved in the profession is ensuring the comfort of patients undergoing surgery operations is safeguarded, and overseeing that the whole surgical operation runs smoothly.
•Education Details: A bachelor’s degree in medicine, a residency and internship
•Other requirements: Acquire a state license plus a board approved certificate
•Estimated job growth: 24% for the years 2012 through 2022 for all anesthesiologists
•Average salary (2013): $235,070 for all anesthesiologists
Educational Requirements for Cardiac Anesthesiologists
The educational requirement for any cardiac anesthesiologist takes an average of eight years, besides enrolling for an internship and a residency program. So in total, an anesthesiologist may have to wait for more than 11 years before being allowed to actively get involved in their profession.
The coursework highly dwell on anesthesia and pain relief for patients, and in most cases, detailed skills on heart related operations. This course is however highly competitive and to land a decent job, one has to have acquired several reference letters and recommendations. In addition, you have to attend some interviews with an admission committee before you can actually be hired to work as an active cardiac anesthesiologist. Finally, to be better equipped, students pursuing this profession are always advised to seek an accredited fellowship program offered by the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists.
Salary and Remuneration Details
With such advanced educational requirements, the remuneration has to be rewarding. Employment opportunities are also quite fine. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics estimate that an average cardiac anesthesiologist earns an hourly rate of $113.01 as of May 2013. So in essence, the cardiac anesthesiologists earn an annual figure of not less than $235,000.
Career opportunities for these workers are mainly found in physical offices, in general surgical rooms and in medical operation hospitals. Physical offices for instance, employed more than 25,000 cardiac anesthesiologists in 2013 alone, while there were more than 3,300 employed cardiac anesthesiologists in surgical operating hospitals in the same year. States with the best paying rates for these employees are topped by Wyoming, Tennessee, Oregon, Oklahoma and Washington, DC.
From the word cardiac, these anesthesiologists work for heart patients. They take care of the patient during operation, such as relieving them of stress, making sure the patient is comfortable and oversee vital signs such as changes in blood pressure, body temperature or the heart rate.
Finally, you must pass a test by the United States Medical Licensing Examination before you get to be active in the career. Also, remember that your work might require you to work odd hours and there will be times where you will receive emergency calls that you must attend to.
Showing schools in your area
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Flexible Scheduling
- Accelerated Programs
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- View Certificates, Associates or Bachelors Degree Programs in Medical Assisting Near YOU!
- Free Information for Medical Assisting, Healthcare Administration, Medical Billing, Coding & Transcription Degree Programs & MORE.
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements & Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs.
- Accredited, Flexible and Affordable Medical Assisting Programs that Fit Your Time & Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
- Online Courses
Showing schools in your area
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
- Online Courses