General Job Outlook
The job outlook for pastry chefs is obviously concentrated around being a good baker. You need to know everything about baking, and you need to have a lot of experience understanding the principles of baking different sorts of dishes involving bread. This can only be mastered through experience.
Furthermore, you have to work at a proficient speed, as required by the executive chef, and pay attention to details, so you can deliver exactly what is asked of you. Apart from your services as an assistant, you need to be able to follow new recipes and direct your collaborators towards the creation of the best meal possible, including safety and taste.
Pastry Chef Job Specifics
The job outlook for pastry chefs will include work locations like restaurant kitchens and bakeries, which compose big worldwide or nationwide chains. Of course, many pastry chefs are working in more modest places like supermarkets and shops.
Usually, as a pastry chef, you will end up working in a restaurant, and this is a noisy, busy, and tense environment, particularly, if you work weekends and holidays. You have to work quickly and sometimes in the most tiring hours – late at night or early in the morning. Most pastry products have to be made in advance.
The job offers some risk that you need to know, for the sake of your own safety, how to handle hot ovens and knives. As any other member of the kitchen, you will be responsible for the healthy, clean nature of the food that you are preparing; therefore, you will have to be mindful of the cleanliness of your working area.
The usual starting salary of a pastry chef is around $25,000, while in bigger cities it could be over $40,000. The 2010 median salary for a casino pastry chef was $47,271, but with a higher range potential of over $80,000.
Pastry Chef Job Requirements
The degrees and courses associated with the profession of pastry chefs are Baking and Pastry Chef Training, but they are not always necessary for you to work as a pastry chef in an entry-level role. The best preparation you can get is experience, so the sooner you start working in a kitchen of any sort, the better.
The more knowledge you have, the better. You must know how to mix different ingredients, and it is absolutely essential for you to be aware of how heating impacts the food. One thing that will give you an advantage to be selected as a pastry chef is the ornamentation and decoration of the food.
In order to become the lead pastry chef in a very expensive restaurant or entertainment venue, you will have to show years of experience on a resume. The American Culinary Federation is capable of providing you with a certificate that will acknowledge your excellence, but even membership with this organization does have a criteria you must meet.
This is a rewarding career for people who love to cook, travel, and embark on new adventures. If you are interested in pursuing this career field, check out the schools listed below to get started in this profession.
Showing schools in your area
- Discover how AI can push your love of cooking into culinary brilliance
- Learn the foundations of the culinary arts including culinary management
- 31 campuses and online, with institutional & programmatic accreditations
- A military-inclusive school committed to providing support for our service members
- Financial assistance is available for qualifying students in need of support
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Business Administration and Management, Accounting, Healthcare Administration, Marketing and Entrepreneurship Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Online Courses
Showing schools in your area
- Looking for an Online Business Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
- Online Courses