Various schools offer areas of concentrations along with a master’s degree program in math to suit the career goals of enrolled students. Master’s degree programs in one or more concentrations are offered, including mathematics education, mathematics, financial mathematics and applied mathematics.
Selecting a Master’s Degree Program in Math
Students may choose from math master’s degree programs in a wide range of specializations, such as financial mathematics and math education to financial mathematics, through the math departments of 4-year colleges and universities.
Types of Degrees Offered
Though one or more master’s degree programs are available through many schools in the mathematics disciplines, all students may be awarded a Master of Science (M.S.) or Master of Arts (M.A.). The variation in degree titles notwithstanding, similar curriculum in each concentration is offered at universities.
Students should research schools that offer the concentration they are interested in studying. A general math background aimed at training students for doctoral-level studies in the field is available through master’s degree programs in mathematics. Schools that offer an applied mathematics program would benefit individuals who seek careers in manufacturing, engineering, operations research or computer science. Students who seek careers in quantitative finance, such as portfolio management or trading would benefit from enrolling in a master’s degree program in financial mathematics. Those who seek careers in teaching would benefit from earning master’s degrees in mathematics education.
Accelerated Study Choices
Accelerated programs are offered to suit the needs of individuals seeking a master’s degree program that lasts less than two years. Some programs are devised to accommodate working professionals’ schedules, and the amount of on-campus participation required can help decide whether or not a working professional can benefit from enrolling in such a program.
Schools also offer programs that culminate in a comprehensive exam, as well as thesis-optional programs. Prospective students must also consider the availability of research grants, internship opportunities and graduate assistantships at their school of choice. Those who seek teaching careers could look for mathematics education programs that offer state teaching certification.
Master’s Programs in Mathematics
Schools aim this degree program at students who wish to earn a Ph.D. in Mathematics. Enrollees are required to complete a master’s thesis or project. Core coursework may cover topic areas such as:
•Real and complex analysis
•Symbolic and abstract algebra
Master’s Programs in Applied Mathematics
These programs teach students mathematical concepts with practical applications in other fields, such as telecommunications, aerospace equipment manufacturing, engineering research and computer services. A project, thesis, or exam may be a requirement. Core coursework may cover topic areas such as:
•Linear and nonlinear programming
Master’s Programs in Financial Mathematics
Students seeking positions such as financial consultant or risk analyst would benefit from enrolling in this program. An internship may be a requirement. Core coursework may cover topic areas such as:
Master’s Programs in Mathematics Education
Those seeking teaching careers at a 2-year college, secondary school or middle school could benefit from enrolling into the Mathematics Education and Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) in Mathematics programs. Those who seek teaching credentials may benefit from some programs while teachers seeking expansion of their knowledge would benefit from others. Students looking for credentials and expansion of their knowledge may benefit from other programs. Enrollees may be required to complete a student teaching component. Core coursework may cover topic areas such as:
•Fundamental structures of algebra
•Trends in mathematics education
•Teaching methods in secondary mathematics
Showing schools in your area
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Online Courses
Showing schools in your area
- Looking for an Online Education Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
- Online Courses