Bachelor’s degree programs in baking and pastry arts will teach students the finer principles of kneading breads and creating cake batters as well as the essentials of finance and management. Those interested in a professional kitchen or bakery leadership position should look into these programs. Students explore the various styles of food.
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Degree Programs in Baking and Pastry Arts
Graduates from a baking and pastry arts bachelor’s degree program are prepared to seek careers as culinary artists working with specialty baked goods such as breads and pastries, among others. Students are taught creativity and leadership through extensive bake shop experiences. Food is treated as an art form as icings, doughs, and other baking and pastry making ingredients are used by chefs.
Admission criteria typically require incoming students to hold a GED certificate or a high school diploma, in addition to experience working in a professional kitchen, such as an institutional cafeteria or restaurant.
Coursework is devised to delve into the diverse traditions, history, and cultures of the world of comestibles. Essential principles of business management and cooking are learned by students. Externships are offered by some institutions, wherein students receive practical experience and establish industry contacts by working at bakeries or restaurants. Core coursework may include these topic areas:
•Hearth and specialty breads
•Plating and presentation
•Marketing and management
•Desserts and confections
Those that successfully complete the program can choose from numerous career options. They can choose to host a cooking show or work as a personal chef, thereby finding many ways to display innovation and creativity with food. Some possible career options include:
•Artisan bread baker
•Bakery cafe owner
•Executive pastry chef
•Corporate pastry chef
•Wedding cake designer
Job and Wage Outlook
A below-par job growth rate of 2% has been predicted for bakers over the 2010 – 2020 decade (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics). In May 2012, bakers brought home an average annual wage of $23,140.
- "Apply Now to The Art Institutes - Pursue Your Passion Today."
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Business Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Business Administration and Management, Accounting, Marketing and Advertising, Business Information Systems Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Business Administration and Management Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
- Online Courses
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Business Administration and Management, Accounting, Healthcare Administration, Marketing and Entrepreneurship Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Online Courses