Students in undergraduate computer animation degree programs will be provided with instruction in the use of computer software and hardware to create and design animated movies and graphics. Schools around the country offer bachelor’s degree programs in computer animation; online programs are also offered.
Factors to Consider when Selecting Computer Animation School
The emphasis of coursework in undergraduate degree programs in computer animation varies by school. The focus of coursework in some schools may be on the use of creative computer animation in the creation of web content, video games, or films. Coursework with a focus on technical design including hardware and software employed in architectural work may be offered by other schools. Students enrolled in some programs are expected to select a focus area, such as game design, 3D modeling, or 3D animation.
Students enrolled in a computer animation major may pursue entry-level careers in entertainment, including 2D/3D scripter, motion graphics technician, illustrator, concept artist, game level designer, or 3D character modeler. Graduates of undergraduate degree programs in computer animation can pursue various career opportunities in the fields of Web design, CAD design, manufacturing, civil engineering, and architecture.
A final student project usually marks the culmination of most animation programs. Programs should be researched by prospective students in order to find out the requirements entailed by these projects. Examples of previous student work may be offered online by some schools.
Students can submit films they have created to festivals. Computer animation students would benefit from affiliation with major animation festivals, such as the Holland Animation Film Festival, Red Stick Animation Festival, and the Ottawa International Animation Festival.
Students with scheduling or travel concerns can pursue online courses that are widely available at schools offering bachelor’s degree programs in computer animation. Students may choose to pursue a wholly online program, an on-campus program, or a hybrid of the two (where available).
Degree Overview: Bachelor’s Degree Programs in Computer Animation
Schools offer these programs as a Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), or Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) with coursework that focuses on areas such as:
•Digital imaging concepts
•Texture and lighting
•2D and 3D animation and modeling
Additional courses will vary with the concentration selected. A senior project is included in most programs, and a complete, critiqued portfolio of work is the usual culmination of such projects.
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Join our next Open House on 2/15!
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses