Students will be prepared for several food-based and hospitality careers, such as head cook, first-line supervisor, and chef. Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree program courses focus on food management and production.
A.A. Programs in Culinary Arts
A two-year associate’s degree program in culinary arts has been devised to facilitate exploration by enrolled students of topic areas in global cuisine, food service management and food preparation. Coursework often includes an externship program that allows the application of students’ knowledge to real-life restaurant environments. Culinary institutes, community colleges and technical schools typically offer these programs some of which are accredited by and whose curriculum is based on guidelines provided by the American Culinary Federation (ACF).
The Associate of Applied Science and Associate of Science degree programs are among the various types available, in the field. Students enrolled in the Associate of Science programs are provided with in-depth foundational knowledge of culinary management and cooking. Often, students who wish to continue their education by enrolling in a four-year university or college prefer this program. Those seeking a terminal degree focused on culinary management and budgeting can consider enrolling in an Associate of Applied Science program. Admission criteria typically require applicants to hold a GED certificate or high school diploma.
Coursework in culinary arts associate’s degree programs focuses on examining food selection, kitchen organization and cooking methods, with most of the instruction imparted in kitchen settings. Courses commonly include:
•Food safety and sanitation
Those who successfully complete a culinary arts associate’s degree program can seek entry level jobs in various hospitality and foodservice facilities, including hotels, cafeterias or restaurants, beginning their career as food preparation workers or assistants and advancing to positions that include:
•Food preparation supervisor
Certification and Continuing Education Choices
Associate’s degree holders may pursue continued education by enrolling in a four-year bachelor’s degree program to receive advanced culinary training in restaurant operations, decorative works and food styling. Alternately, they may choose to enter the workforce immediately on completion of the associate’s degree program. While hirers don’t insist on certification, job applicants who have obtained certification would have an undoubted edge over those who haven’t. Culinary arts professionals at various levels are certified by the ACF. Graduates from an ACF-accredited associate’s degree program could qualify automatically to take certification exams to achieve the Certified Culinarian credential. They could also aspire to become Certified Executive Chefs, Certified Chef de Cuisines or Certified Sous Chefs With additional experience and education.
Showing schools in your area
- Program areas include Culinary Arts, Culinary Management, and more
- Students are taught cooking styles from around the globe, including Classical European, Asian, and Latin cuisine
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career as a chef, with course topics that include Culinary Techniques, Management by Menu, and Nutrition
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef
- Class Start on July 9
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Looking for an Online Business Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
- Online Courses
Showing schools in your area
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Business Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Business Administration and Management, Accounting, Marketing and Advertising, Business Information Systems Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Business Administration and Management Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
- Online Courses