Receive information about an Associate of Science (A.S.) degree program in Laser Electro-Optics Technology and its coursework, career choices, job and wage outlook, and continuing education choices.
Associate of Science A.S. Degree Program in Laser Electro-Optics Technology
Lasers have multiple uses, ranging from computers and medical treatments to cell phones and warfare. There is a variety of study programs available throughout the U.S. These sometimes cover fiber optics or photonics in addition to laser technology.
Many higher education institutions and employers recognize diplomas from schools that have the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)’s accreditation. Schools usually have strong partnerships with industries and businesses in order to impart both a classroom and workplace setting for students. Candidates learn to master skills for research and development, use industry-standard software, and work with lab equipment.
Coursework in associate’s degree programs in laser technology covers core coursework in electronics, augmented by subjects such as humanities, communications, English and math. Core coursework combines fieldwork, seminars and lectures devised to increase students’ proficiencies in fiber, laser, wave and geometric optics. Coursework may include topic areas such as:
•Basic laser safety, maintenance and repair
•Laser optic devices and applications
•Solid state components
Laser technologists may seek employment with those who design, manufacture and supply laser-based solutions and precision electro-optical components for use in commercial, scientific and medical applications; the job duties of these professionals would include building and documenting experimental systems. Technologists would get to work alongside talented industry professionals including innovative scientists, among others. They may aspire for possible job titles such as:
•Electronic Equipment Assembler
Job and Wage Outlook
A job growth rate of 2% has been predicted for electrical and electronic engineering technicians, over the 2010 – 2020 decade (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics). In 2012, these professionals brought home an average hourly wage of $27.81 (BLS).
Continuing Education Choices
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) offers numerous affiliate society activities to students and professionals seeking career advancement or continuing education. Education, information exchange, and professional growth offered by the affiliated Photonics Society can be availed by laser technology professionals. Technologists may also avail online resources and certificate programs, in addition to university and corporate partner programs, and short courses at conferences. Those who pursue continued education via advanced degrees will need to complete more rigorous coursework in physics or engineering bachelor’s or master’s degree programs.
- "Apply Now to The Art Institutes - Pursue Your Passion Today."
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Looking for an Online Business Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
- Online Courses
- Are You a Natural Leader or Good with Numbers? Get Educated in the Business Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Business Administration & Management, Accounting, Marketing Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
- Online Courses