Get information about bachelor’s degree programs in product development and merchandising and their educational requirements, coursework, career choices, job and wage outlook, and continuing education choices.
Bachelor’s Degree Program in Product Development and Merchandising
Students enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program in product development and merchandising gain a strong foundation in numerous business areas, including accounting, marketing, finance, and economics. While apparel and fashion are the primary focus of many programs, a more general focus is available through some programs.
It is also possible to apply the concepts learned in these programs to a variety of products. It takes four years for most students to complete a product development and merchandising bachelor’s degree program.
Increasingly, undergraduate product development and merchandising programs are emphasizing internships with buyers, retail chains, and designers. Students who already hold a related associate’s degree can enroll in shorter degree programs.
Admission criteria typically require incoming students to hold a GED certificate or a high school diploma. Schools offer most bachelor’s degree programs to students that lack experience in product development and merchandising; however, students who already hold an associate’s degree in the field can avail a shorter professional track offered by some schools.
Numerous courses are available in the curriculum of a bachelor’s program in product development and merchandising, including sociology, computer science, and human resource management. Retail, marketing, basic business management, and general education are in the curriculum.
Business education apart, courses in organizational behavior, procurement, and online retail are also available. Students also learn strategies for recognizing trends, developing brands, and marketing products. Core coursework may include topic areas such as:
•Principles of online retail
•Visual components in merchandising
With degrees in product development and merchandising, graduates may seek jobs with engineering firms, advertising agencies, and manufacturing companies. They may pursue career options such as:
•Public relations representative
Job and Wage Outlook
Over the 2010 – 2020 decade, job growth rate of 17% have been predicted for retail salespersons (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics). In May 2012, these professionals brought home an average annual wage of $21,110 (BLS).
Over the 2010 – 2020 decade, a slower-than-average job growth rate of 8% has been predicted for first-line supervisors of retail sales workers, including retail managers; in May 2012, these supervisors banked an average annual wage of $36,820.
Between 2010 and 2020, an average job growth of 10% has been predicted for transportation, storage, and distribution managers, and the average annual wage earned by these workers in May 2012 amounted to $81,830.
Continuing Education Choices
Those who complete the bachelor’s degree program may seek continuing education by enrolling in a graduate or professional school program. Students may opt for a master’s degree in business administration, accounting, or marketing to pursue a career in executive or managerial positions.
Armed with doctoral degrees in business-related fields, individuals may seek job opportunities with government agencies, research organizations, and academic institutions.
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Business Administration and Management, Accounting, Healthcare Administration, Marketing and Entrepreneurship Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Online Courses