Degree Overview: Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) in Heating, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration TechnologyMajors Overview December 4, 2013
Discover the career prospects, continuing education opportunities, and course requirements, to help your future education decisions, for an associate’s degree in heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration technology.
A.A.S. Programs in Heating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Technology
Students enrolled in an Associate of Applied Science in Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Technology degree programs are typically mechanically-inclined people with an interest in implementing, maintaining and using these systems. Students are taught via technical and instructional coursework and imparted knowledge and skills relevant to the safe and effective performance of work related to a refrigeration, heating and air conditioning technician. Graduates of an associate degree program can seek entry- to mid-level jobs in the field.
Program coursework is devised to teach participants about working with systems in commercial and residential applications. Graduates can expect to become adept at repairing and maintaining systems through the use of the proper equipment and tools and in designing and installing new systems. Admission criteria typically require applicants to hold a GED certificate or high school diploma.
Coursework in an associate program in heating, air conditioning and refrigeration usually combines classroom lectures and hands-on training. Students are required to have demonstrable knowledge of the foundational concepts apart from the ability to apply the skills developed during the program. Coursework may include topic areas such as:
•Heating systems technology
•Residential and commercial building codes
•Air distribution theories
•Air conditioning systems technology
•Blue print reading
Those who successfully complete an associate degree in the field can seek entry level careers in construction, service, design, distribution and sales. Graduates can augment the two-year associate’s degree with Work experience to demonstrate their proficiency in the field; (source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics). With 6-24 months of work experience, graduates would have the skills and knowledge to seek upper-level jobs. They can aim for various job titles such as:
Continuing Education Choices
Heating, air conditioning and refrigeration technicians are required to obtain licensure in some states (BLS). Typically, licensure norms include passage of an exam that tests their abilities, knowledge and skills in the field.
Professionals working with refrigerants must seek certification in all areas of their field. Institutions that carry the approval of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency offer such certification at three work levels, relating to low pressure systems, high pressure systems and small appliances. Professionals in the field commonly seek additional certification in certain areas of work situations or skill (BLS).
- Earn Your Degree at Fortis College. Flexible Scheduling. Apply Now!
- Financial Aid
- 70+ years of helping students start careers in Health Sciences, Business & Information Technology, Automotive, Skilled Trades, and more.
- This year, Lincoln schools around the country have made more than $15 million in scholarship funds available to qualified students.
- Designated a Military Friendly School for the 6th year in a row by Victory Media, and offers exclusive scholarship for servicemen and women and their families.
- Schools include Lincoln Tech, Lincoln Culinary Institute, and Lincoln College of New England, with 30 campuses in 15 states across the U.S.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Business Administration and Management, Accounting, Healthcare Administration, Marketing and Entrepreneurship Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Online Courses