Several classes in acting can be discovered within degree programs relating to theatre and drama. Maryland has two universities that offer these programs, including Towson University and University of Maryland – Baltimore County (UMBC).
Acting Programs at UMBC
The University of Maryland – Baltimore County is located in the large urban area of Baltimore, Maryland; this is a four-year public school. There are over 12,000 students who enrolled into bachelor and master degree programs at this school every year. The school’s Department of Theatre offers acting classes.
Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Acting
This is the only university in Maryland that offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts program in acting. Students will learn about theories of drama and acting in the classroom when they enroll into this four-year program then applying those theories on the stage. Students will study scenography, costumes, script analysis, and dramatic literature. Students enrolled in acting will take courses that relate primarily to the craft of acting, including auditioning, vocal training, and movement for the actor.
Bachelor of Arts in Acting
The Bachelor of Arts program in Acting is offered at the University of Maryland – Baltimore County that combines the core courses from the Bachelor of Fine Arts program with other courses in production and theatre. Students continue to study dramatic literature, script analysis basics, and the craft of acting. They also study production techniques, modern theatre, and history of theatre. Completion of a capstone course is required from students.
•Address: 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, Maryland 21250
•Phone Number: (410) 455-2917
Acting Programs at Towson University
Towson University is located in Maryland, and this is another school of higher learning that offers acting classes. This is a four-year public school that offers bachelor and master degree programs to more than 21,000 students every year. The acting programs at Towson University are offered through their Department of Theatre Arts.
Bachelor of Arts in Performance Track, Theatre Arts
Students who enrolled into the bachelor theatre arts program at this school can select from three different areas of concentration, including a performance track that focus on acting theory and skills. Performance track is based upon a developmental course sequence that has to be taken in order. This program is designed for students that are extremely interested in pursuing an acting career and involves courses in voice, acting style, theatre games, improvisation, scene study, and movement.
Master of Fine Arts in Theatre
The Master of Fine Arts in Theatre is a diverse program that Towson University offers and accepts students who has an interest in all aspects of theatre. The program is described as “alternative” and enables individuals to self-direct their own courses of study. Students who have enrolled into this program are encouraged to advance their academic in producing, designing, writing, directing, and acting dramatic works. Students will attend workshops and seminars, meet with visiting artists and actors, and conduct their own performances.
•Address: 8000 York Road, Towson, Maryland 21252
•Phone Number: (410) 704-2000
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses