Receive information about a bachelor’s degree program in Fashion Merchandising and its coursework, career choices, job and wage outlook, and continuing education choices.
B.S. Programs in Fashion Merchandising
Students enrolled in bachelor’s degree programs in Fashion Merchandising are imparted instruction on the operations of the Fashion Merchandising field, which requires designers to move the apparel to the retail sales floor and, in turn, to consumers. Students enrolled in the program learn business skills and fashion industry basics. They are taught about visual merchandising, store planning, promotion, and advertising, and gain exposure in catalog development and retailing.
They also gain strong rudimentary knowledge about distribution strategies, budgets, product assortment analysis, stock control, inventory, and buying. The bachelor’s program in Fashion Merchandising usually spans a four-year duration, and degrees may be offered by schools as a Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.), Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Bachelor of Professional Studies (B.P.S.), or Bachelor of Science (B.S.).
Admission criteria typically require incoming students to hold a GED certificate or high school diploma.
Coursework is devised to impart students with a broad perspective about the designing and manufacturing of apparel, and methods of marketing the apparel to retailers. In some programs, internships or work-study opportunities may be included to allow students to gain professional experience. Coursework may include topic areas such as:
•Predicting fashion trends
•Fashion merchandising concepts
•Merchandise buying procedures
Those who successfully complete the program may seek entry-level occupations in import companies, wholesale businesses, boutiques, and retail department stores. They may also seek careers with manufacturers or designers, and choose from possible job titles such as:
•Market research trainee
•Product line manager
•Design development coordinator
Job and Wage Outlook
In December 2013, assistant buyers earned an average annual salary of $40,791, while visual merchandisers took home $31,277, and market researchers earned $47,598. In 2012, product line managers earned an average annual wage of $89,190 (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics). A slower-than-average job growth rate has been predicted for product line managers during the decade of 2010 and 2020; during the same time, assistant buyers are expected to enjoy a job growth rate of 9%, and professionals in the market research field are expected to experience job growth rates of 41%.
Continuing Education Choices
Bachelor’s degree graduates can benefit from seeking continued education from schools that offer a few programs at the master’s level in Fashion Merchandising and related fields. A research component is typically added to the coursework of these programs, in addition to offering specializations within the field, such as historic textiles. Graduates may seek university-level teaching jobs or administrative positions in the industry.
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Business Administration and Management, Accounting, Healthcare Administration, Marketing and Entrepreneurship Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Online Courses